Bandra Fair (Mount Mary Fair) is an 8 day festive event to celebrate the birth of Virgin Mary. It is believed that Mother Mary was born on September 8. Every year Mount Mary Basilica at Bandra celebrates the feast to “Our Lady of the Mount”. Bandra Fair has a carnival-like atmosphere with shopping stalls, food stalls, street events, games, amusement rides, concerts, etc. Mount Mary Bandra Fair takes place within the Mount Mary Church complex and in the lanes around the church.
Start and End Date of Mount Mary Bandra Fair 2015
- Bandra Fair Start Date: 13th September, 2015 (Sunday)
- Bandra Fair End Date: 20st September, 2015 (Sunday)
The 9 days before the Bandra Fair, from 4 September to 12 September, Mount Mary Basilica performs “Novena” (prayer) for the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Visit this link for further information on why Mount Mary Bandra Fair is celebrated and about the Mount Mary Basilica.
Events, Mass Timing, Stalls at Bandra Mount Mary Fair
- 9 Day Novena before start of Bandra Fair (4 Sept to 12 Sept, 2015): 5 morning mass for Virgin Mary (5:30 am, 6:15 am, 7:00 am, 7:45 am and 8:30 am) and 3 evening mass (5:30 pm, 6:30 pm, 7:30 pm). Salve Regina will be sung in the 7:00 am mass. On September 8, 2015, which is Mother Mary’s birthday, there is a Solemn Mass at 8:30 am.
- 13th September, 2015 (Sunday), Start Of Feast Of Our Lady Of The Mount (Bandra Fair): Novena mass in English for Virgin Mary at 5:30 am, 6:15 am, 7:00 am, 7:45 am, 8:30 am, 9:15 am, 10:00 am, 10:45 am, 11:30 am (Feast Mass), 12:30 am. Please Note there is no Evening Mass. Pilgrims and worshippers can visit Mount Mary Church from 5:30 am to 11:00 pm to offer prayers (“darshan”) to Virgin Mary.
- 14th September to 19th September, 2015: Daily religious mass in English at 6:15 am, 7:00 am, 7:45 am, 8:30 am, 9:15 am, 10:00 am, 10:45 am. Mount Mary Basilica will be open from 5:30 am to 11:30 pm for pilgrims to offer “darshan” (prayers) to Mother Mary during the Bandra Fair. Please Note there is no Evening Mass.
- 20st September, 2015 (Sunday), Last Day of Mt Mary Fair: Mass in English at 5:30 am, 6:15 am, 7:00 am, 7:45 am, 8:30 am, 9:15 am, 10:00 am, 10:45 am, 11:30 am (Feast Mass) and 12:30 am. Mount Mary Church will close at 8:00 pm.
- Mother Mary Novena Mass in Local Languages: “Mass for the Sick and Aged” at 10:45 am on 14 Sept, 2015 (Monday); “Mass in Konkani” at 11:30 am on 15 Sept, 2015 (Tuesday); “Mass in Marathi” at 11:30 am on 16 Sept, 2015 (Wednesday); “Mass in Tamil” at 11:30 am on 17 Sept, 2015 (Thursday); “Mass in Malayalam” at 11:30 am on 18 Sept, 2015 (Friday); “Mass in Gujarati” at 11:30 am on 19 Sept, 2015 (Saturday); Special Mass for the Elderly at 10:30 am on 21 Sept, 2015 (Monday)
It is estimated that between 5,00,000 to 10,00,000 devotees visit Mount Mary Basilica and the Bandra Fair.
Stalls and Shops at Mount Mary Bandra Fair
During Mumbai’s Bandra Fair, 430 temporary stalls selling religious artifacts, food, toys, clothes, handicraft items, etc, are set up at Mount Mary Church, Kane Road, Mt Mary Road, Eastern steps of Mount Mary Church, St John Baptist Road and Rebello Road. Most of these stalls are allocated to local residents. Bandra Fair stalls and stands are located at the following places:
- Mount Mary Road to Kane Road: 280 stalls, each measuring 1.5 X 1.5 meter, set up on one side of Mt Mary Road and part of Kane Road. 20 stalls/pitches near Mt Mary Basilica were auctioned, whereas the balance 260 stalls were allocated to local residents based on a lottery. These stalls only sell religious items.
- St John Baptist Road: There are 100 stalls on this road. Some of these stalls sell food delicacies such as Mawa Pedha, Home-made Cakes (wine, Plum, walnut, dates), Guava cheese, Fuggias, Kadio Bodia (Goan dish made of sugar and flour), Sorpotel, Vindaloo, Dodol (Goan sweet), etc.
- Rebello Road: 50 stalls on this road, which is East of Mt Mary Church.
For the duration of Bandra Fair, Mumbai’s BMC has made arrangements to clear garbage twice a day. Also, drinking water, medical aid, fire fighting equipment and ambulance will be available at “Veer Jijamata Kridangan”, at St John Baptist Road.
Mt Mary Bandra Fair Information: Location, Map, Transport
|ADDRESS||MAP OF MOUNT MARY CHURCH|
|Mount Mary Church,Mount Mary Road,
Click here to view Bandra Fair at Mount Mary Church in a larger map
The focal point of the Bandra Fair is the Mount Mary Basilica on Mt Mary Road at Bandra (West), Mumbai. Mt Mary Church is near Bandra Bandstand, Hill Road, Chapel Road, Mt Carmel Road, St John Baptist Road and St Andrew’s Church.
Closest local suburban railway station to Mt Mary Church is Bandra Station on the Western and Harbor Line.
Local Bus (BEST) to Bandra Fair and Mount Mary Basilica
- BEST will run 222 special buses from Bandra Station (West) to Hill Road and Mount Carmel Road, near Mount Mary. Of these, 98 buses will run in the morning and 124 from afternoon onwards. BEST Bus ticket will cost Rs 8 and will be issued at the bus stop before the passenger climbs the bus.
- BEST Bus 214: Bus is available from Bandra Station (West) to bus stop at St John Baptist Road. It’s a 0.5 Km walk to the Basilica.
- BEST Bus 211: Bus is available from Bandra Station (West) to Bandra Bandstand (Byramji Jeejeebhoy Road). Exit at the bus stop near Shahrukh Khan’s Bungalow, “Mannat”. This is the second last stop on this route. It’s a short 0.25 Km uphill climb along either Kane Road or Cement Road (touches Shah Rukh Khan’s House).
- BEST Buses 86, 211, 212, 214: All these public buses stop at Hill Road which is about 1 Km from Mt Mary Church.
For the duration of Bandra Fair, the below roads are “NO ENTRY” areas; so using private transport to get to Mount Mary is not advisable. Expect traffic jam in a radius of 1.5 Km from the Church.
- Mount Mary Road
- Chapel Road
- Saint John The Baptist Road
- Kane Road,
- Robello Road
This link has sensible precautions for visitors to Mt Mary Bandra Fair.
Attractions around Mount Mary Church
- Bandra Bandstand: There is a beautiful sea facing promenade at Bandra Bandstand (Byramji Jeejeebhoy Road). Many film stars have houses in Bandra. Salman Khan’s House at Galaxy Apartments is at the start of Bandra Bandstand and Shah Rukh Khan’s House is towards the end of the road.
- Bandra Fort at Land’s End: Bandra Bandstand road ends at Bandra Fort. This place has stunning views of the Arabian Sea and Bandra – Worli Sea Link.
- By-lanes of Bandra West: The quaint Bandra by-lanes have an old world charm. Stalls are put up in many of these lanes.
- Pictures of the Best Ganpati Idols in Mumbai in 2015
- Pictures of the Best and Most Famous Ganpati In Mumbai
- Mount Mary Bandra Fair 2012
- Kala Ghoda Festival, Mumbai
- One Day Walking Tour of Mumbai Tourist Attractions
- Ganesh Chaturthi in Mumbai and best Ganpati Idols in 2013
- Famous Hindu Temples in Mumbai
- Mumbai’s Top 10 Best And Most Famous Tourist Attractions
- Hindi Film Stars who live in Bandra, Khar, Pali Hill
- Shahrukh Khan’s House, Mannat at Bandstand, Bandra
- Salman Khan’s House at Galaxy at Bandstand, Bandra