For Schedule of 2013 Kala Ghoda Arts Festival, please click on this link ==> Kala Ghoda Arts Festival 2013
For Pictures of 2013 Kala Ghoda Art Festival, please click on this link ==> Visual Installations at 2013 Kala Ghoda Festival.
For Reasons on Why the 2013 Kala Ghoda Festival is a success, please click on this link ==> Kala Ghoda Festival 2013 – A Success.
For Tips for Visitors to the Kala Ghoda Festival, please click on this link ==> Tips for Visitors to Kala Ghoda Arts Festival.
Kala Ghoda Arts Festival 2012
Kala Ghoda Arts Festival (2012) is an important art and cultural event in Mumbai. It is Mumbai’s most popular cultural street festival. Started in 1999, the Kala Ghoda Art Festival (2012) celebrates diverse art forms and is similar in concept to the Edinburgh Festival. Mumbai’s premiere art festival gets it name from the location where the festival is held – “Kala Ghoda”. The literal translation of Kala Ghoda” is “Black Horse”; hence the “Black Horse” motif is present in all communication, banners, hoardings, etc.
Art Events and Activities at the 2012 Kala Ghoda Arts Festival
1] Children Events at Kala Ghoda Arts Festival (2012). Click on Link for Schedule of Children Events at Kala Ghoda Arts Festival 2012, Mumbai. 2] Workshop at Kala Ghoda Arts Festival (2012). Click on Link for Schedule of Workshop at the 2012 Kala Ghoda Arts Festival. 3] Literature at Kala Ghoda Arts Festival (2012) 4] Film and Movie at Kala Ghoda Arts Festival (2012). Click on Link for Schedule of Films & Movies at the 2012 Kala Ghoda Arts Festival, Mumbai.
Tips for the Kala Ghoda Festival 2012
- Expect large crowds during the weekend for the 2012 Kala Ghoda Festival. If you are planning on attending the Music Concerts at the Asiatic Library Steps, please read this advise on the music concerts.
- There is enormous demand for Children’s events/workshops on the weekends in the Museum Garden. Register early at email “firstname.lastname@example.org“.
- Get your camera.
- Don’t expect to see too many celebrities on 4th February, Saturday, since it is the Wedding Reception of Ritesh and Genelia.
- Some of the movie and theatre halls tend to be small. For popular movies it is advisable to reach the hall 15 minutes before start of movie / play. Seating is allowed on the floor in the aisles.
- Music concerts at the Asiatic Library are very popular and hence very crowded. Expect all 4 concerts on Feb 11 (Sat – N Kumar, Raghu Dixit) & Feb 12 (Sun – J Mevundi, Vishal & Shekar) to be packed. It is advisable to take your seat on the steps of the library at least 30 minutes before the start of the concert. The seats in the middle steps tend to be the best.
- Kala Ghoda 2012 Music events will be held at the Cross Maidan for the first time. Please factor in the travel time in case you intend to attend events at Cross Maidan and Kala Ghoda.
- Amphitheatre in the middle of Kala Ghoda (K Dubash Marg) seems good sized, but for popular events, it gets filled quickly. Be there 10 – 15 minutes before the start of the event that you want to watch.
- This year there are over 85 pieces of visual art installations (sculptures, paintings, audio-visual, interactive, etc) at the Kala Ghoda Art Festival, 2012. It’s fun discovering all of them.
- Please visit the NGO stalls on the main Kala Ghoda Street (K Dubash Marg). Many of the products made by village artisans are amazing.
- This year’s winter has been chilly and it is still lingering. The open stage plays in Hornaman Circle and concerts at the Asiatic Library Steps can go on till 10:00 pm. It can get a little chilly.
- Registration for most workshops can be done at the venue itself. There are some that require prior registration. On the weekends when the rush is the most, the Kala Ghoda workshops get full quickly. It is advisable to go register 2 hours before the workshop.
- The FOOD events are a new category that has been introduced in the 2012 Kala Goda Festival.
- Some Heritage events require prior registration and have limited seats.
- Parking can be a challenge. There are some parking spots around Kala Ghoda at Gateway of India, near Regal, on Colaba causeway, the road behind Taj Hotel, near University (on weekends), near Horniman Circle, Fort (during the weekends), Mantralaya, Nariman Point.
- The 12th Mumbai International Film Festival is playing at NCPA (Nariman Point) from Feb 3 to Feb 9. The entry ticket for all 8 days is only Rs 100. It is just 1.5kms away from Kala Ghoda. You may want to taken in the 12th MIFF too.
- Kala Ghoda Festival is a great outing for parents and kids. It is both fun and educational.
- During the 2012 Kala Ghoda Arts Festival, India Post will offer stamps with your picture printed on them. The 2012 Kala Ghoda festival has an India Post stall which for Rs 300 offers 12 stamp sheets.
[Click on this link for more Tips on 2012 Kala Ghoda Arts Festival.]
Dates of the 2012 Kala Ghoda Arts Festival
Start Date: Saturday, February 4, 2012End Date: Sunday, February 12, 2012
Venue of 2012 Kala Ghoda Arts Festival
Apply for a Stall at the 2012 Kala Ghoda Arts Festival
Applications for 10 ft X 10 ft stalls at the 2012 Kala Ghoda Arts Festival can be submitted to the Kala Ghoda Association (KGA) at the below contact address. The application form is available at the Kala Ghoda Association website. Last date for application is December 10, 2011. KGA will conduct interview for stall owners on December 13, 14, 15, 2011.
Kala Ghoda Association
The organizers of the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival (2012) is the “Kala Ghoda Association“, which is a non-profit organisation based in Mumbai. The mission of the “Kala Ghoda Association” is to work towards physically upgrading the Kala Ghoda precinct, drawing attention to its beauty and history, and making it the Art District of Mumbai. In addition to the The Kala Ghoda Arts Festival in February, the “Kala Ghoda Association” also organizes the The Kala Ghoda Festival of India in October.
Kala Ghoda Association Contact Address
C/o. A.T.E. Enterprises Pvt. Ltd.,4th Floor, Dr. V.B. Gandhi Marg,Fort, Mumbai 400 001.Phone: 65055034 . Telefax: 22885972Email : email@example.comRELATED ARTICLES:1] Full Schedule of All Events at Kala Ghoda Festival, 20122] Kala Ghoda Wine Festival3] 12th Mumbai International Film Festival (MIFF) – Feb 3 to Feb 9, 2012