Mumbai’s Kala Ghoda Festival is one of the Biggest Free Art and Cultural Festival in the World. With over 600 events spread over 9 days, the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival attracts large crowds. All events and activities at the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival are FREE.
For the complete Kala Ghoda Festival schedule 2019, please visit this link to the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival website.
Start and End Dates of 2020 Kala Ghoda Arts Festival
The Kala Ghoda Festival starts on the first Saturday in February. The Kala Ghoda Festival goes on for 9 days and ends on the second Sunday of February.
START DATE OF KALA GHODA FESTIVAL 2020: 1 February, 2020 (Saturday)
END DATE OF KALA GHODA FESTIVAL 2020: 9 February, 2020 (Sunday)
Events and Schedule of Kala Ghoda Festival 2019
Please visit the Kala Ghoda Association website for the full schedule of events.
In 2019, the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival (KGAF) has events in 14 categories.
- Children Events at KGAF 2019: At Kala Ghoda Arts Festival 2019 there are 77 Children events. An exciting development at Kala Ghoda Festival 2019 is that in addition to individual children’s workshops/events there are all day Children events (11:00 am to early evening) on all days at the Museum. In previous years, because of limited seats at workshops, kids sometime missed out on participating. Kala Ghoda Arts Festival has an outreach program for Mumbai schools where they conduct sessions at schools. All Children’s events, except Children’s Literature is at the Museum Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya (CSMVS). Children Literature events will be held at Somaiya Bhavan and Kitab Khana, which is on the ground floor of Somaiya Bhavan near Flora Fountain statue. Only for Children’s Literature events registration needs to be done by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Theatre Plays at KGAF 2019: Kala Ghoda Festival 2019 has 35 plays in English, Hindi, Marathi and Gujarati staged at Horniman Circle Gardens, MC Ghia Hall (Kala Ghoda) and National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA). Plays are popular at Kala Ghoda Arts Festival and audiences usually start queuing one hour before the start of the play.
- Dance Events at KGAF 2019: Kala Ghoda Festival 2019 has 55 Dance Events. These events cover a wide spectrum of Indian (Classical and Contemporary) and International Dance Forms. All Kala Ghoda Festival Dance events are at the open air Cross Maidan Ground. Entry is open to all and there is no reservation.
- Movies and Films at KGAF 2019: Coomaraswamy Hall (CSMVS Museum Ground Floor), Visitor’s Centre (near entrance of Museum), Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS Ground Floor).
- Food Programs at KGAF 2019: At the 2016 Kala Ghoda Arts Festival, there are 9 Food Events. These events will be held at different restaurants in and around Kala Ghoda. Please refer to the Kala Ghoda Festival schedule for details.
- Literature Events at KGAF 2019: Literature Events at the 2019 Kala Ghoda Festival include book launches, meeting with authors, discussions, conversations, poetry sessions and more. There are 64 Literature events in English, Marathi, Gujarati and Kutchi. All Kala Ghoda Arts Festival Literature events are at the garden of David Sassoon Library (DSL). Children’s Literature Events will be held at Somaiya Bhavan and Kitab Khana (ground floor of Somaiya Bhavan near Flora Fountain statue).
- Music at KGAF 2019: 2019 Kala Ghoda Festival has an exciting Music program. Events include concerts in Indian Classical, Indi Pop, Indian Fusion, Sufi, Jazz, English Classical, Afro Percussions and Pop. Performers at Kala Ghoda Festival 2019 include Trilok Gurtu, Hariprasad Chaurasia, Shaan, Apache Indian, Kakar sisters, Niladri Kumar, Luca Ciarla, Abhijit Pohankar, Anushka Manchanda, Kabir Café and more. Kala Ghoda Music events will be held at Cross Maidan, except events on the last 2 days, which will be held at the Asiatic Library Steps. The events at Asiatic Steps fill up quickly, so it advisable to be there 90 minutes before the start of the event.
- Heritage Walks at KGAF 2019: At the 2019 Kala Ghoda Festival there are 30 Heritage Walk Events. These events are based at various locations in South Mumbai. The Heritage Bus Tours on Saturday and Sunday are very popular. Do book your passes early because there are limited seats.
- Street Events at KGAF 2019: Ethnic Indian Street performers will perform mid-air tightrope walking, Bahurupia and Kachchighodi folk dance during weekdays from 5:00 pm to 9:30 pm. Street events will be held at Rampart Row (Kala Ghoda Road, aka K Dubash Road).
- Stalls at KGAF 2019:The 2019 Kala Ghoda Arts Festival has around 150 stalls. There are many stalls belonging to NGOS and Government organizations. Stalls are lined along the Kala Ghoda Road (Rampart Row or K Dubash Road) and in the traffic triangle outside Jehangir Art Gallery.
- Visual Arts Installations at KGAF 2019: Innovative Visual Art installations are strongly associated with the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival. In 2019 there are 41 Visual Art installations mainly at Rampart Row (Kala Ghoda Main Road) and Cross Maidan.
- Workshops at KGAF 2019: There are 44 Workshops at the 2019 Kala Ghoda Festival. These workshops will be held at Max Mueller Bhavan, SI Bambai (along the Dockyard Road), Artisans, Delhi Art Gallery, Museum and Keneseth Eliyahoo Synagogue. The Synagogue was recently restored. This year there are guided tours of the Keneseth Eliyahoo Synagogue, one of the most famous Synagogues not just in Mumbai, but in India.
- Standup Comedy at KGAF 2019: Kala Ghoda Festival 2019 has 41 short Stand Up Comedy performances by Established and Up-coming Indian performers. All Stand-Up Comedy performances will be held at Irish House (Kala Ghoda Rampart Row). Since this event is very popular, do get line up an hour before the start.
- Urban Design and Architecture at KGAF 2019: Kala Ghoda Arts Festival 2019 has discussions, interviews, presentations and films based on Design, Architecture and the city. All 24 events will be held at Max Mueller Bhavan.
PLEASE NOTE: Although all events are free, some require prior registration. Usually Workshops, Heritage Walks, Food events and some Children’s events require prior registration. Please check the Kala Ghoda Association website for events that require registration and how to register.
Even if some Kala Ghoda events are houseful and you are not able to register, we suggest you arrive at the venue before the event. Sometimes there is no-show by registered participants and you may get lucky. For example a popular event is Heritage Bus Tour of South Mumbai. Often there are free seats at the last moment because some registered participants have not shown up.
PLEASE NOTE: Weekends get very crowded at Kala Ghoda Arts Festival. Evenings are the most crowded. Time taken to enter the venue can range from 15 to 30 minutes, with the entry line stretching from the Kala Ghoda parking triangle (Entry Gate) to the museum. We suggest you enter via the Museum where the queues are relatively smaller.
Security checks at Kala Ghoda Arts Festival is strict. Those with bags take longer to enter the festival venue. There is a separate queue for visitors without bags; this queue tends to be much shorter.
PLEASE NOTE: Visitors usually start queuing up 45 minutes to an hour before the start of popular events such as Music Concerts at Asiatic Library, Plays, Stand-up Comedy, Food events and Children’s events. This is because these events are on a first-come-serve basis and seating is limited.
Venue of Events at Kala Ghoda Festival 2020
Events at Kala Ghoda Arts Festival are held in and around “Kala Ghoda” which is a precinct in South Mumbai. Following a Bombay High Court order, use of loud speakers has been disallowed at K Dubash Road (Kala Ghoda Road, also called Rampert Row). Music and Dance events have been moved to Cross Maidan near Churchgate Railway Station.
The closest Local train stations to reach Kala Ghoda are Churchgate (Western Railways) and CST (Central Railway and Harbour Line).
Map of Venues of Kala Ghoda Arts Festival 2019
Kala Ghoda is also known as K Dubash Marg. This map shows the location of Kala Ghoda Festival events.
Organizers of the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival
Kala Ghoda Association (KGA) has been organizing the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival since 1999.
Kala Ghoda Association was formed in 1998 with the objective of focusing on South Mumbai’s Kala Ghoda area. Kala Ghoda is considered the Art precinct of Mumbai. Kala Ghoda is home to Art Galleries, Museums, Designer Shops, multi cuisine Restaurants, Bars and historic Heritage Buildings based on Indo-Saracenic and Art-Deco styles of architecture.
Kala Ghoda Association works towards the beautification and conservation of the Kala Ghoda area.
- One Day Walking Tour And Map of Mumbai’s Main Tourist Places
- Kala Ghoda Arts Festival 2016
- Kala Ghoda Arts Festival 2015
- Kala Ghoda Arts Festival 2014
- Best Places To See And Best Things To Do In Mumbai
- Mumbai’s Top 10 Best And Most Famous Tourist Attractions
- Top 10 Best College Festivals in Mumbai